We’re looking for a Communications and Social Media Officer to join our team! Does this sound like a good match for you? We’d love to hear from you! Please consider the job application below and apply by sending a CV and a cover letter, which clearly sets out how you meet the person specification, to Alan Surgeon (Trustee of OneKind) at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have any questions about the job role or application process, then please reach out to us at email@example.com for a chat.
Communications and Social Media Officer
Closing date for applications: 1st March 2022
Hours of work: Full or part time hours considered.
Salary: Ca. £24,200 depending on experience.
Location: Remote, Scotland based preferred, with occasional travel to the Edinburgh office as required
Reports to: Director. Supervised by Campaigns and Press Officer
Application information: Please submit a CV with a covering letter explaining the fit between your skills and experience and this post. Please also make specific reference to the Person Specification.
OneKind effects positive change for animals through high-profile campaigns, political lobbying, investigations, public education, and promoting compassionate living. This allows us to shape the cultural and legislative landscape to seek justice for animals. We create conversations around challenging questions and seek innovative solutions to welfare problems. Our work is informed by current scientific evidence and fuelled by dedicated supporters. We work with like-minded organisations across the UK, Europe and globally, towards a world in which humans empathise with other animals, treat them with kindness, dignity, and compassion, and allow them to flourish.
Our current priorities include obtaining equal protection for all sentient animals, regardless of human-imposed classifications: foxes labelled ‘pests’, reindeer exploited for ‘entertainment’, or octopuses dismissed because they are non-vertebrate. We also continue to work to end cruel practices like foxhunting and the trapping of animals in our countryside, to gain better regulation of the pet trade, and to ensure that farmed animals have ‘a good life’.
We’re a small charity with a big impact. Our successes have included a ban on the snaring of mountain hares and a subsequent ban on the mass scale mountain hare killings in Scotland. We helped end the use of wild animals in circuses and the use of electric shock collars on dogs and secured a commitment for the introduction of mandatory CCTV in slaughterhouses in Scotland.
In 2016 OneKind re-focused its brand on ending cruelty to Scotland’s animals and launched membership, along with a drive to grow our supporter base. Since then, our profile, impact and supporter base have grown significantly, as reported in our 2020 annual report- https://www.onekind.scot/resources/annual-report-2020/.
Our fundraising income has grown each year, largely through individual giving, and active supporters. We aim to continue and even accelerate this growth in 2022 and beyond so that we can continue to invest more into our core work. This is an exciting and unique opportunity to play a leading role in delivering this ambition and ensuring OneKind’s communications inspire and have impact.
You will have a key role in the OneKind team, supporting our campaigns, media, policy, and fundraising work. The postholder will boost OneKind’s visibility, donations, e-commerce, and stakeholder engagement. You will be responsible for managing the organisation’s online presence across Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Linkedin and YouTube by developing a social media strategy, creating content, working closely with colleagues, analysing social analytics, and assisting with projects and campaigns.
About this role
The Communications and Social Media Officer will be part of a team of approximately seven and the team works closely with OneKind’s supporters and volunteers. Our small size means that we work closely together, supporting each other and ensuring all our campaigns and communications deliver impact and growth. It also means we can communicate with our supporters directly and act quickly, giving OneKind a unique edge.
This role will principally focus on social media and driving traffic to our website but will also support the other areas of activity specific to the campaigns, policy and fundraising and communications functions as required. You will play a key role in assisting with on and offline communications that deliver our campaigns and fundraising goals. This will include digital and email communications, as well as face-to-face events.
This is an exciting and challenging role that would suit a self-motivated and enterprising individual with excellent communication skills, a proven track record in social media engagement and a passion for animal welfare. You will be looking to have a big impact by helping with the growth of OneKind.
The OneKind team
Meet the OneKind team here. In addition to the core team OneKind works with a number of freelancers, agencies, and long-term volunteers.
- Working with the OneKind team, help plan and deliver OneKind’s email, website, and social media communications with the aim of delivering our campaigns and fundraising goals
- Manage all social media channels such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram.
- Assist with driving traffic to the OneKind website, identifying areas for improvement, and coordinating action accordingly.
- Working with the Campaigns and Press Officer, plan content and delivery and use tools like Hootsuite to manage multiple social media channels.
- Assist with the production of multimedia content and/or outsource this effectively when necessary.
- Form key relationships with influencers across the social media platforms.
- Social media community management- monitoring and responding to comments and messages or highlighting them to the relevant staff member.
- Monitor and evaluate performance on social media platforms using tools such as Hootsuite.
Digital Communications and wider support
- Monthly reporting and analysis of social analytics, tracking organic reach and paid for postings including A/B testing results.
- Assist the Campaigner and Press Officer in organising campaign events, such as demonstrations and attend, and table, events, and demonstrations as necessary.
- Assist the Campaigner and Media Officer as required. Contribute to the development and delivery of campaign plans.
- Assist with fundraising appeals documentation, emails and other supporter communications material as required.
- Commitment to the aims and ethos of OneKind and animal welfare.
- Experience or interest in charities and animal welfare.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Highly organised and able to manage and prioritise a varied workload, meeting deadlines.
- A creative and can-do approach.
- Ability to work well within a small team.
- Motivated to learn and grow.
- A good understanding and interest in animal protection issues.
- Data analysis, including experience working with supporter databases (OneKind currently uses Engaging Networks)
- Experience with social media management platforms (OneKind uses Hootsuite)
- A full UK driving license and access to your own vehicle
All the OneKind team work remotely at present but still enjoy a supportive, collaborative team environment. Our office in Edinburgh is available if team members require an office space. You will have access to a workplace pension, 27 days leave plus Public Holidays, flexible working hours, and family friendly policies. Professional learning and development are actively encouraged.
OneKind recognises that Equality Diversity and Inclusion is an essential ingredient for the successful operation of our charity. We are committed to welcoming and encouraging diversity and inclusion and ensuring there is no discrimination in our environment. We want everyone to feel included, and able to give their best and enjoy their time contributing to our cause.
Non graduates are invited to apply.
To apply, please send a CV and a cover letter, which clearly sets out how you meet the person specification, to Alan Surgeon (Trustee of OneKind): firstname.lastname@example.org.